Looking for a way to save a few bucks on utility bills? Check out these quick, easy things you can do to reduce your utility bills right now—for water, electricity and heat.
- Replace your shower head with a new low-flow version, which delivers the same water pressure at only 2.5 GPM (versus the old shower heads at 5-8 GPM, according to HomeTips.com), and retails for around $25.
- Turn off video game consoles, computers, laptops and tablets at night (instead of leaving them on 24/7).
- Walk through your house and unplug lamps, night lights, appliances or devices that you don’t use more than once per month. (They still draw energy—even when they’re off!)
- Or buy new smart strip surge protectors that can automatically shut off electricity to plugs that aren’t being used.
- Install a programmable thermostat that can be operated from your phone (you can even get help on the installation from our Home Warranty partners).
- Replace your traditional light bulbs and night lights with LED bulbs.
- Enroll in programs offered by Evergy that offer energy-efficient savings every month.
- Lower the house temp in summer naturally by closing curtains and blinds on the sunnier, south side of your home.
- Raise the house temp naturally in winter by opening all the curtains and blinds on the sunny side of the house.
- Run ceiling fans counter-clockwise in summer.
- Turn off the “heated dry” function on your dishwasher.
- Do annual maintenance on your HVAC system in spring and fall to keep your system clean, and air flowing properly.
- Replace HVAC filters every few months to keep air flowing smoothly.
- Use cold water to wash your clothes.
- Buy more blankets—and turn down the heat 1°-2°F in winter.
- Clean out the refrigerator coils two times a year so it uses less energy.
- Buy an insulating jacket for your hot water heater from a hardware store.
Our warranty partners at A.B. May and HSA Home Warranty can help you save money by making sure your HVAC system is running smoothly. Call today!